Wearing bomb twist outs is every natural's goal. Twist outs are classy, sexy and very versatile when styling. You can wear your twist outs down, as a fro hawk, in a bun with a fringe, the styles are limitless.
There are numerous YouTube tutorials on how to achieve the perfect twist outs on natural hair; our personal recommendation being Sheila Ndinda's tutorial on Easy Twist Outs using Shea Butter. Her steps are pretty simple and even a newbie natural can follow through to achieve twist out perfection.
Going by the tutorial and personal experience with twist outs, below are some tips that will come in handy when trying to achieve a bomb twist out.
- Ensure that your hair is clean. Styling your hair when dirty is not a cute look.
- Your hair will produce better twist outs when damp because moisture adds elasticity to your hair making your curls more defined. If your hair is clean and dry, you can spritz it with some water. You can also work on freshly washed hair but you will come to realise that your hair will have considerable shrinkage after unravelling your twists as opposed to spritzing water on dry hair.
- Medium to small portions of hair are better for curl definition. Have some clips on standby to secure your sections as you work your twists on one section at a time.
- Detangle, detangle, detangle. There is no way to emphasize on this more than that. Properly detangled hair will reduce tangles (obviously), knots and frizz. you can use your fingers to detangle, or a denman brush or widetooth comb.
- Always start your twist from the root of your hair. This tip helps to avoid puffy roots and frizz. If your twists have been coming out less than slayed, this could be the problem.
- Products! Yes, sis, great products will take you one step closer to twist outs that are slayed by the gods. You will need moisturising and holding products. Moisturizing products include twisting or curling butters like our Whipped Black Castor Shea Hair Butter. Holding products include styling gels like ecostyler. You can also opt to only use one or the other.
- While twisting, ensure that your strands are separated. Please, for the love of all slayed lewks, do not attempt to add hair to either strand when you feel like one strand is over just to balance. Your twists will not have a polished and smooth look. Ensure your strands are even before twisting.
- Show some love to your ends by adding more products when twisting.
- Twirl the ends of your twists to create wonderful spirals when unraveling your twists. I see that "wow" look. Yes, this is why your faves twirl their twists at the ends.
- When unraveling your twists, try unraveling from the ends coming up to the roots. This method avoids breakage and frizz.
- Avoid waterbased products when unraveling your twists. Why? Moisture is good for our hairs but in this case moisture will only create shrinkage. Use oils instead and that will add shine to your hair.
Is there any tip that you use to achieve bomb twist outs? Please share in the comments section....